SPARTA MOVING HACKS #4: DO I EMPTY DRESSER DRAWERS WHEN MOVING?
One of the most common questions we get about dressers is whether or not clothes and other items should be left in the drawers. The short answer is often yes, but that isn’t always the case. It’s good to know a few other dresser moving essentials before deciding whether or not to empty the drawers.
Large and heavy dressers are one of the few things that even professional movers can have a hard time with.
This article applies to all furniture with drawers. It’s a good idea to ask yourself the following questions before attempting to move a fully loaded dresser.
- How durable is the dresser?
- Can it be safely moved by two or three people?
- Do I have equipment for moving heavy, bulky objects?
- Is there anything breakable in the drawers?
- How is the dresser going to be moved in and out of the homes?
– If the dresser is heavy. The extra weight of contents will make moving the dresser unsafe, especially if the dresser has to be carried up/down the stairs and/or around tight corners;
– If items in the drawers are loose, fragile or valuable;
– If dresser is IKEA quality. Those are less durable and more likely to give way;
– If dresser is aged or antique. The additional weight of contents will increase the risk of damage;
DO NOT EMPTY DRAWERS:
– If the dresser is light enough to move;
– If drawers can easily be taken out. Movers will carry dresser and drawers separately;
– If you are tight on space or short on moving boxes;
– If it is a solid and sturdy dresser and if it will remain upright the entire time.
Drawers should be secured shut whether or not clothing is left inside. This prevents the drawers from sliding open during transport.
Keeping the drawers packed with clothes is a judgment call. When in doubt ask your moving company for opinion.
At Sparta Movers we’re equipped to handle dressers of all sizes, with or without the clothes left inside. We also offer packing services that take all of the guesswork out of the process since we’re doing it for you.
Give us a call today to connect with a knowledgeable moving consultant.