Terms & Conditions
Welcome to Sparta Movers! We’re delighted to assist you with your moving needs. To ensure a smooth and secure relocation experience, please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions
Local Hourly Services
- An estimate issued by Sparta Movers is prepared as carefully as possible, considering all the information provided by Customer. It is based on the assumption that Customer’s place of residence/business will be properly packed (See note A) and ready to move upon moving crew arrival, unless packing is included in Sparta Movers’ scope of work.
- Minimum charge
- A minimum charge of 3 hours will apply including labor as well as a round trip travel (dock to dock).
- After initial 3 hours, service time will be billed in 15-minute increments at the quoted hourly service rate.
- Service time includes driving from Sparta Movers’ office to the Origin, loading at Origin, driving from Origin to Destination, unloading at Destination and finally, upon completion of services, driving back to Sparta Movers’ office.
- Fuel Surcharge:
- Will apply on all local services
- The fee will be calculated at $1.05 per kilometer of a round trip ($50 minimum will apply)
- Extra fees : might apply as follows:Heavy item fee – when moving heavy items, such as slate pool tables, air hockey tables, safes, etc:$60 per each item weighing between 250 and 400 lbs$100 per each item weighing over 400 lbsAn additionalPiano fee – when moving a piano:
- $150 for an upright piano weighing between 400 and 600 lbs.
- $250 for an upright piano weighing between 600 and 900 lbs.
- $350 for a grand piano and baby grand piano
- A deposit in the amount of 10% of the estimated total is required at the time of accepting an estimate and booking an appointment
- Deposit can be paid online as well as over the phone using any major credit card as well as debit VISA card
- Deposit is fully refundable if/when appointment is cancelled with at least 2 weeks advance notice
- Deposit if fully credited towards your final service bill if/when:
- An appointment is rescheduled by Customer with at least 7-day advance written notice (subject to crew availability), and
- An appointment is rescheduled by Customer no more than one time. A new deposit will be required at the time of 2nd re-scheduling
- Deposit will be forfeited if/when above conditions are not satisfied. In this case a new deposit payment will be required.
- Final Invoice will be calculated based on the actual service time at the quoted hourly service rate.
- Final invoice will be due upon completion of services on the day when an invoice is issued.
- Balance payment:
- Methods of payment:
- We accept all major credit cards (VISA, Master Card, American Express), VISA Debit cards, cash, and Interac email transfer
- Interac email transfers shall be sent to email@example.com. Please add your full name and an estimate/invoice number in the comments section of the Interac transfer.
- When paying a final balance amount using Debit VISA and/or a Credit card, a 3% credit card processing fee will apply. This 3% fee does NOT apply on deposit payments at the time of accepting an Estimate.
- Customer agrees and pre-authorizes Sparta Movers to process the final invoice balance payment on the same credit card which was used for initial deposit payment, unless Customer chooses an alternative method of payment listed above.
- Methods of payment:
- Late payments
- Customer agrees to pay 3% monthly (and no more than 29% annually) on any past due balances.
- Customer agrees to pay expenses incurred by Sparta Movers in seeking payment, including but not limited to reasonable attorney fees.
VALUATION & CARGO PROTECTION
- Complimentary Basic Cargo Protection coverage is included with ALL services provided by Sparta Movers. Under the Basic Protection coverage, Sparta Movers liability is limited at $0.60 CAD per pound weight of damaged item(s) if damage(s) occurred while items being handled by Sparta Movers crew.
- Premises Protection coverage is also provided COMPLIMENTARY. A Sparta crew supervisor will complete a walk around at every location prior to commencing work and will document major pre-existing damages (floors, walls, ceiling, etc.). It is Customer’s responsibility to inspect the premises and report any/all damages PRIOR to Sparta crew departure. Customer shall document any/all damages in writing and get that document signed off by Sparta crew supervisor on site and then email the damage report to firstname.lastname@example.org supporting with photos, videos, description, etc. PRIOR to crew’s departure from the premises. Late claims will NOT be accepted and/or compensated.
- Actual Value Cargo Protection coverage is also available for both moving as well as storage services upon request at additional fee.
- This simply means that if a damaged item cannot be repaired, it will be replaced with a new one of like kind and quality at current fair market value. Coverage is limited at an agreed upon valuation cap of $8 CAD per pound weight (at $250 CAD deductibles), but not exceeding a maximum of $2,500 CAD per individual damaged item. This coverage cost will be calculated at a rate of $6.5 CAD per every $1,000 CAD of declared total value. For example, for shipment valuation of 80,000 CAD (based on 10,000 lbs total shipment weight), Actual Value Protection coverage can be purchased for $520 CAD.
- Items of extraordinary value – A protection coverage for items individually valued at over $2,500 can also be purchased in addition to the Actual Value Cargo Protection. The items of extraordinary value must be listed separately on an inventory list (item, description, current fair market value) and emailed to a Moving Consultant assigned to you. This coverage premium will be calculated at a rate of $15 CAD per every $1,000 CAD of declared total value above $2,500 CAD. For example, if an extraordinary value item is valued at 10,000 CAD, then an additional EOV coverage premium will be calculated as follows: ($10,000 – $2,500) * $15 / $1000 = $112.50 CAD.
- Structurally Weak Items/Furniture – Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for damages to items that are structurally weak, unless there are clear signs of external physical damage caused by Sparta Movers as a result of undue care handling and/or moving that item. These items include, but are not limited to, simulated wood, particle board or pressed board furniture. These items/materials are structurally weak and are typically not repairable. If not contracted to pack prior to moving, Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for damages caused to items that needed to be disassembled prior to handling/moving to avoid damages.
- Electrical Goods – Movers shall not be held liable for internal damages to electrical goods, where no signs of external physical damage can be seen. Some electrical goods may develop unavoidable faults no matter how carefully handled.
- Appliances – Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for dents or scratches on major appliances. Appliances are covered by a thin metal that has an extreme affinity to dents and scratches.
- Items with Water – Freezers, refrigerators, waterbeds, aquariums must be emptied and drained prior to the move.
- Fragile Items – Dishware, porcelain, glasses, mirrors, framed pictures, lamp shades, specialty items are not covered if not packed by Sparta Movers using adequate packing materials (See note A). No matter who packed the goods, Sparta Movers crew will take an equal amount of care and diligence to ensure fragile items are moved as safely as possible.
- Boxed Items – Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for damaged boxed items that were not packed by Sparta Movers. It is Customer’s responsibility to inspect the boxes for signs of external physical damages caused by Sparta Movers upon delivery. All externally damaged boxes must be inspected prior to crew’s departure and in crew’s presence. Any and all damages must be documented and acknowledged with a signature by the crew’s supervisor and emailed to email@example.com prior to crew’s departure.
- Self-inspection – It is customer’s responsibility, before signing off at the end of the job
- to inspect their belongings for reassurance that those were delivered in full and in good condition
- to inspect the back of the truck for reassurance that nothing was left behind
- Lost or missing items – when delivery of goods is scheduled NOT on the same day of the pick up, Customer is responsible to create a detailed inventory list of the goods, get it acknowledged with a signature by Sparta Movers’ crew supervisor upon completion of truck(s) loading and email a copy of the same inventory list to firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the day when pick up is completed. Sparta Movers will not be liable for any missing items that were not on the inventory list.
- Downtime – Any/all downtime is billable (waiting for elevator setup, property key holder is late, traffic, customer inspecting his/her belongings upon delivery, etc.).
- Time spent by Sparta crew on breaks is not billable unless Customer chooses otherwise
- Valuables – Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for loss or damage to accounts, bills, checks, evidence of debts, letters of credit, passports, tickets, documents, manuscripts, notes, engineering drawings, securities, currency, money, precious stones, jewelry, or other similar valuables. Customer shall take full responsibility for moving the above-mentioned valuables him/herself.
- Risky Tasks – Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for damages caused by non-routine moving including but not limited to standing pieces on end, sharp turns, overcrowded work areas, difficult stairways, snags and sharp edges in work areas and doorways, handing over balconies, railings, etc., tight squeezes, and damage caused by weather.
- Unavoidable Damages Not Covered – Damages occurred due to the size of the item compared to the size of a hallway, door frame, staircase, and elevators or similar. Movers will attempt to move such items, but damages may occur. Customer must stop the movers if deemed unsafe or risky. If movers are moving an item and there is a snag on a door frame or stairwell and it nicks or tears an item, Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for such damages.
- Absent Customers – Customer is encouraged to be present throughout the entire move. A crew will point out any scratches, marks, or other damages, which Customer may have overlooked. If Customer is absent to witness the entire process, then Customer automatically accepts the items in the condition which those will be delivered. In this case, Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for any missing or damaged items, or items that were not moved.
- Loss of Value – Sparta Movers does not cover, under any protection plan, any loss of value due to damage and subsequent repairs.
- Limits of Liability – Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for damages to or loss of a complete set or unit, when only part of such set is damaged or lost, in which event Sparta Movers shall only be liable for the damaged piece(s).
- No Liability – Sparta Movers shall assume no liability whatsoever, if Customer chooses to assist or interfere in any part during the moving process.
- Disclaimer – Sparta Movers will not guarantee assembly of any item(s) that are new in box, unless agreed upon in advance. It is recommended that Customer consults with a Third Party specializing in assembly services for such items.
- Sparta Movers does not guarantee to assemble an already disassembled furniture, unless a manual or another guidance is provided
- Sparta Movers does not guarantee to assemble certain furniture items, such as furniture composed of MDF, particle board, compressed wood chips, etc.
- Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for risks associated with assembly/disassembly of baby cribs, water beds, tanning beds, gas appliances, pool tables or pianos.
- Sparta Movers shall not be held liable for risks associated with wall mounting flat screen TV’s or removing TV’s from the wall mount, bolting/unbolting items on/from walls and ceilings, connecting/disconnecting washing machines, drying machines, dishwashers, freezers and fridges. All appliances must be disconnected and drained prior to Sparta Movers crew arrival.
- It is Customer’s responsibility to inspect the premises and report any/all damages PRIOR to Sparta crew departure. Customer shall document any/all damages in writing and get that document signed off by Sparta crew supervisor on site and then email the damage report to email@example.com supported with photos, videos, description, etc. PRIOR to crew’s departure from the premises.
- Late claims will NOT be accepted and/or compensated.
- Customer assumes full responsibility for the following, but not limited to (Refer to our Terms and Conditions above for the full list):
- Damages caused by Sparta crew when carrying bulky/heavy/oversize items through narrow hallways, door frames and staircases.
- Damages caused by Sparta crew to structurally weak items (IKEA and like)
- Damages caused by Sparta crew to items which were NOT boxed/packed/crated by Sparta Movers
- Damages caused by Sparta crew to fragile items (dishware, porcelain, glasses, mirrors, framed pictures, lamp shades, specialty items) not packed by Sparta Movers
- Damages caused by Sparta crew to appliances, electronics, TVs, etc. if NOT packed in boxes by Sparta Movers
- Damages not documented and/or acknowledged by the crew supervisor prior to crew’s departure.
- Unless all due invoices are paid in full, Sparta Movers will not review and/or comment on any claims.
(A)* A term “properly packed” considers the following: all loose items packed into like sized boxes. All delicate items and glassware packed into like sized boxes with items individually wrapped with packing paper and/or bubble wrap. All packed boxes should not weigh over 45 lbs each, or a box weight rating whichever is less. All boxes with fragile/delicate items must clearly be labeled as “FRAGILE.” All packed boxes should be labeled with room designation at the “moving to” address. All larger furniture items with drawers and other moving parts should be shrink wrapped. All large furniture (i.e. beds, sofas and specialty items) should be disassembled. All large mirrors, paintings, pictures, and/or glass pieces should be either bubble wrapped, blanketed, boxed or a combination. All pillows, cushions etc. should be packed into plastic bags and/or tall wardrobe boxes. Floor lamp posts should be detached from their heavy bases. Light bulbs should be removed from all lighting fixtures and placed in a box. Lamp shades should be packed separately in boxes. All loose items shall be bundled together as much as practical using shrink wrap and/or tape. All of the above preparation steps are required in order to facilitate loading and unloading of a moving truck. Should these steps not be completed prior to Sparta crew arrival, the moving could potentially take longer than originally estimated or quoted.
(B)* For local services within Calgary and area, a 1-hour fixed travel time fee will apply for moves within 50 km round trip distance from Calgary city center, a 1.5-hours fixed travel time fee – between 50 – 75 km round trip from Calgary city center, and a 2-hours fixed travel time fee – between 75 – 100 km round trip from Calgary city center. Moves exceeding a 100 km round trip distance will be considered as long distance moves, which will be quoted differently.