50 REASONS TO MOVE TO CALGARY
Thinking about moving to a new city? Calgary, the largest city in Alberta, Canada, offers a range of opportunities and attractions that make it an excellent choice for relocation. Whether you’re a Canadian resident looking for a change or a newcomer to Canada, Calgary has a lot to offer.
In this blog article, we’ll explore 50 reasons why you should consider moving to Calgary.
- Beautiful Location: Situated at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where the Elbow and Bow rivers meet, Calgary boasts stunning natural landscapes and a backdrop of majestic mountains .
- Gateway to the Rockies: With the Rocky Mountains just a 90-minute drive away, Calgary serves as a gateway to world-famous skiing, hiking, and outdoor adventures .
- Economic Opportunities: Calgary’s economy is heavily focused on the petroleum industry, agriculture, and tourism. It is home to numerous petroleum companies and is known as one of Canada’s wealthiest cities .
- Affordable Housing: Calgary offers a range of housing options at affordable prices compared to other major cities .
- High Salaries: Alberta offers the highest median after-tax income in Canada, providing residents with higher earning potential .
- No Provincial Sales Tax: Living in Calgary means you won’t have to pay provincial sales tax. Alberta only charges a 5% Federal Goods and Services Tax, saving you money compared to other provinces .
- Real Estate Value: Whether you’re looking to purchase or rent a home, Calgary offers great value compared to larger cities like Toronto and Vancouver .
- Great Place to Work: Calgary provides excellent work opportunities, especially in the petroleum industry. The city’s business-friendly environment and can-do attitude make it an attractive destination for professionals .
- Diverse Population: Calgary has a young and diverse population, making it a vibrant and multicultural city .
- Excellent Healthcare: Calgary ranks among the top cities in Canada for healthcare. Residents have access to quality healthcare services and facilities .
- Clean and Safe: Calgary is known as one of the cleanest cities in the world, offering a safe and healthy environment for residents .
- Outdoor Activities: If you love outdoor activities, Calgary is the place for you. The city provides ample opportunities for hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, and more.
- Proximity to National Parks: Being close to Banff National Park and other national parks, Calgary residents can easily explore breathtaking natural landscapes, hot springs, and wildlife .
- Festivals and Events: Calgary hosts numerous festivals and events throughout the year, offering cultural experiences, music, art, and entertainment for all ages .
- Strong Economy: Despite the occasional “boom” and “bust” cycles due to its reliance on the petroleum industry, Calgary has a resilient economy and is actively working on diversifying its economic base .
- Access to Education: Calgary has a range of educational institutions, including universities, colleges, and schools, providing quality education for students of all ages .
- Sports and Recreation: The city has a vibrant sports culture, with professional teams in hockey, football, and soccer. Residents can enjoy watching games or participate in various recreational activities .
- Family-Friendly: Calgary offers a family-friendly environment with excellent schools, parks, and community programs for children and parents alike .
- Public Transportation: The city has an efficient public transportation system, making it easy to get around Calgary and explore different neighborhoods .
- Strong Community Spirit: Calgary is known for its “can-do” attitude and strong community spirit. The city values volunteerism and community engagement .
- Vibrant Arts and Culture Scene: Calgary boasts a thriving arts and culture scene, with art galleries, museums, theaters, and music venues showcasing local and international talent .
- Entrepreneurial Opportunities: Calgary’s business-friendly environment and supportive entrepreneurial ecosystem make it an ideal place for starting a new business or pursuing innovative ventures .
- Networking Opportunities: The city hosts various networking events, conferences, and industry gatherings, providing ample opportunities to connect with professionals and expand your network .
- Strong Sense of Community: Calgary residents take pride in their city and have a strong sense of community, creating a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere .
- Educational Institutions: Calgary is home to renowned educational institutions, such as the University of Calgary and Mount Royal University, offering diverse academic programs and research opportunities .
- Cultural Diversity: The city embraces cultural diversity, with a wide range of ethnic communities, festivals, and celebrations that contribute to Calgary’s multicultural fabric .
- Abundant Park Spaces: Calgary is known for its abundance of parks, green spaces, and recreational areas, providing opportunities for outdoor activities, picnics, and relaxation .
- Low Crime Rates: Calgary has relatively low crime rates compared to other major cities, contributing to a sense of safety and security for its residents .
- Well-Planned Infrastructure: The city has well-planned infrastructure, including modern transportation systems, roads, and utilities, ensuring a high quality of life . Strong Sports Culture: Calgary is home to world-class sports facilities and has a rich sports culture, particularly in winter sports like ice hockey and skiing .
- Access to Arts and Entertainment: Residents of Calgary have access to a wide range of arts and entertainment options, including theaters, music festivals, art exhibitions, and live performances .
- Strong Tech and Innovation Sector: Calgary has a growing tech and innovation sector, attracting entrepreneurs, startups, and investment in cutting-edge technologies .
- Natural Beauty: The natural beauty surrounding Calgary is awe-inspiring, with breathtaking mountain views, stunning sunsets, and picturesque landscapes .
- Strong Public Services: Calgary’s public services, including healthcare, education, and utilities, are well-maintained and strive to meet the needs of its residents .
- Access to Shopping and Dining: The city offers a wide range of shopping centers, malls, boutique shops, and dining options, catering to diverse tastes and preferences .
- Strong Sports and Recreation Facilities: Calgary has excellent sports and recreation facilities, including arenas, golf courses, swimming pools, and fitness centers, promoting an active and healthy lifestyle .
- Access to Arts and Science: Calgary is home to the Glenbow Museum, TELUS Spark Science Centre, and other cultural institutions that provide educational and engaging experiences .
- Sustainable Initiatives: Calgary is committed to sustainability and green initiatives, promoting recycling, conservation, and renewable energy practices .
- Access to Quality Healthcare: The city has a well-developed healthcare system, with hospitals, clinics, and medical professionals providing quality care to residents .
- Welcoming to Newcomers: Calgary has a history of welcoming newcomers and provides support and resources to help them settle into their new community .
- Professional Development Opportunities: Calgary offers numerous professional development opportunities, including workshops, seminars, and conferences, helping individuals enhance their skills and knowledge .
- Access to Outdoor Recreation: From hiking and biking trails to golf courses and fishing spots, Calgary provides abundant outdoor recreation opportunities for nature enthusiasts .
- Strong Volunteerism Culture: Calgary has a strong culture of volunteerism, with numerous organizations and initiatives that rely on community involvement and support .
- Well-Connected Airport: Calgary has a well-connected international airport, making it convenient for travel within Canada and abroad .
- Cultural Celebrations: The city hosts various cultural celebrations and events throughout the year, allowing residents to learn, appreciate, and participate in different cultural traditions .
- Active Arts Community: Calgary’s arts community is dynamic and vibrant, with artists, musicians, performers, and writers showcasing their talents and contributing to the city’s cultural scene .
- Strong Support for Small Businesses: Calgary provides support and resources for small businesses, fostering entrepreneurship and economic growth .
- Proximity to Outdoor Adventures: With the Rocky Mountains nearby, Calgary residents have easy access to outdoor adventures like hiking, camping, skiing, and mountain biking .
- Calgary Stampede: The Calgary Stampede, an annual rodeo, exhibition, and festival, is one of the city’s most iconic events, attracting visitors from around the world and showcasing Western heritage . Calgary offers a multitude of reasons why it is an attractive destination for relocation. From its stunning natural landscapes and economic opportunities to its low cost of living and strong sense of community, Calgary provides a high quality of life and a range of experiences for residents. Whether you’re seeking career opportunities, outdoor adventures, cultural diversity, or a welcoming community, Calgary has something for everyone. Consider these 50 reasons when contemplating a move to Calgary and discover the many benefits this vibrant city has to offer.
 Living in Calgary: a guide for newcomers to Canada – Moving2Canada. Retrieved from here
 CREA Statistics – Calgary Migration. Retrieved from here
 Pros & Cons of Moving to Calgary – Things you need to know – Minto. Retrieved from here